August 10, 2018
One large plant or two small plants
When planning a new location, one of the key decisions many producers will face is deciding between a single larger, faster concrete plant vs. two smaller concrete plants. There are obviously pros and cons to each approach.
The pros for a single concrete plant approach would be:
- One plant to maintain
- Less land required
- Easier traffic pattern management
The cons for a single concrete plant approach would be:
- No redundancy
- Larger plants are usually more complex and parts will be more expensive
The pros for a two-plant approach would be:
- Redundancy that a second plant offers
- Smaller plants are less complex and parts will be cheaper
- Shared reclaim water area
- Shared aggregate storage
- One operator can batch both plants if properly planned
- Can be enclosed for nearly the same price as a single plant if properly laid out.
The cons for a two-plant approach would be:
- Double the maintenance
- More land required
- More complex traffic pattern management
As you can see, there are many points to consider and many more than we could have listed here. If you have other points to consider or you would like help planning your next location, give us a call today.
We would love to hear about your experiences and of course let us know if we can help your company.